Just 2022 Things
Inspired by Sophie's post I decided to do a little roundup of things I've done the year.
We purchased our house in November 2021 and it hadn't been decorated since 1971 so everything needed doing; most of this year has been spent getting all the rooms fixed up. In July, we found out my partner was pregnant (🎉) which is very exciting but also added an extra bit of stress to making sure the house was done by the end of this year. Things I learnt how to do:
- Fitting laminate flooring - This isn't difficult per se, but it is hard work.
- Wallpapering - This is a pain in the arse, I hate it, and will never do it again. I do like the finished wall now it has the mirror and radiator though.
- Installing skirting boards - Again, a bit of a pain but with a decent mitre saw and some Gripfill it doesn't take too long.
- Building a desk from scratch - This was a fun woodworking project. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
In February we went to Rome, visited all the normal sites, and ate so much incredible pizza. We stayed right near The Pantheon which was perfect for walking everywhere we needed to go.
In April we went to Bournemouth for a few days and saw Bowling for Soup on the last day.
Right before Christmas we went to Edinburgh to visit the Christmas market (which was a bit disappointing) but we did a tour of the Edinburgh Vaults, rubbed the nose of Greyfriar's Bobby, and visited some great book shops.
We saw a bunch of theatre shows this year as well:
- Book of Mormon
- Back to the Future: The Musical
- Cinderella - This was an interesting one because the front 8 rows rotate with the stage so you're facing everyone else. This got cancelled right after we saw it.
I made a bunch of little plugins/webapps for Micro.blog and the Monzo Pot Image Generator hit over 40k images generated. I stopped using Twitter so I'm using a combination of Micro.blog and Mastodon - the latter is run by omg.lol. omg.lol is such a fun site and has a bunch of services, including a Mastodon instance. You can get it for $5 a year until tomorrow.
I didn't play many games due to the aforementioned home project but I did manage to play through the GTA Trilogy as well as Horizon Forbidden West.
According to Letterboxd I've watched 103 movies this year. Of those, 12 of them came out this year. My favourites of those are:
- Thor: Love and Thunder - This movie is a bit divisive but I loved it.
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - An excellent sequel to Knives Out.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - This was so much fun and the main song is a banger.
I didn't watch all that much TV this year but the two stands outs were:
- Reacher - As a fan of the books, I was impressed how closely this matched up. A really great adaptation.
- Better Call Saul - This show is perfect in every way.
- For All Mankind - No other show builds suspense like For All Mankind does
I read zero books this year which is embarrassing, I hope to change this next year. I did start Men Who Hate Women and hopefully will finish it soon.